Skip to main content

Trash Can Annie's. Where dreams come alive.


I am lucky enough to be surrounded by vintage objects daily. I'm privileged in that way. I caught a good break having a job I adore, with people I adore.

 I am always secretly hoping to stumble on under appreciated treasure for my enjoyment when I am out and about. Like tap shoes in my size, for instance.


Recently I had the greatest pleasure in venturing to Davenport, Iowa. First stop, Trash Can Annie's.  Conveniently and lucky for us, Ragged Records, a record store, is contained within the same building. Let that soak in. Vintage clothes and records...vintage clothes and records. Give yourself hours. I mean it.


With Annie's comes one of my favorite ladies in the world, who I am honored to say, I kiss smack on the lips with, a dear heart, Laura Heath.

She is not in these pictures as much as I would have liked. She was too busy teaching curious people about the objects in the store. Almost all of the clothes are individually tagged, often with year, or a note, and the size of the garments.

How does one know their size, you ask?

Laura measures you. Stand there, still, your arms extended. She writes them down for your safe keeping on the back of her business card.  Having my size helped me to move on from the objects that would not fit. I saved a lot of time not trying on everything I loved only to find out I am not the right size for it.

 I had armfuls. Dresses. Skirts, Shawls. Pants. Tap shoes. Coats. Hats. Like this one. Which I learned, from Laura, that this was her coat when she was a little girl. She salvaged what she could and this headpiece is what it became. I was so happy to know I was taking home with me a memory of Laura.



My sister, Dena Pickering, photographer extraordinaire, took all these shots. Thanks be to her for that. Laura was zipping in and out, helping me decide which fit me the best, thinking of alternatives, and helping me to piece together a large chunk of my new wardrobe.  Kisses for that.

        sister sister


I left, feeling like Pretty Woman on her shopping spree.



Comments

  1. Very good, I like these, beautiful. I am looking for sheepskin jackets for women, as I want to have something both warm and fashionable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zine in the making

To all that contributed, thank you for your patience. I have taken it for granted. 
Progress is being made!

Royal 10 Standard Typewriter before/after

Most recently I had the privilege of tinkering on the oldest machine I had gotten my hands on. 
When it came to me, this 1920 Royal 10 Standard was in non-working, gunked up condition. This isn't unusual for unused, un-maintained machines.  It was a present and the new owner was hoping to be able to use it. (click on the images to see it better)



Similar to the way people get excited about the new iphone, at times in history people were getting excited about the newest model of typewriters.  Companies were competing against one another to make their writer the best of the best.  
During my research on this writer I found a fun story. In 1927 George E. Smith, the president of Royal at the time, purchased a Ford-Stout airplane for $75,000.  He then proceeded to deliver typewriters like this one by the thousands in crates by parachute to demonstrate the ruggedness of the Royal writers.  
These images are found in the Popular Mechanics November 1927 issue.
Not surprising, they are ama…

Ripples